Saturday, January 7, 2012

Layered Goat Cheese


Cheese...  I honestly do not think I could live without cheese in my daily diet, especially cream cheese.  No crackers are even necessary. So many cheese varieties and so many ways to stuff them in my mouth.  Cream cheese, cheddar cheese, blue, gorgonzola, brie, how about some Manchego dipped in orange blossom honey? I love them all. However,  I do reserve the right to turn away from a highly pungent, turn-the-fridge-to-fart-smell, cheese.  You know what Im talking about.

So now lets talk goat cheese.  So creamy, mild, and pairs well with about everything.  At a recent holiday party, this layered cheese was served as an appetizer with crackers and Serano Ham.  In my usual manner, I ate about half of it myself then preceded to figure out how the dish was made.  Fast forward 2 weeks to dinner with my family, this layered goat cheese, 5 minutes and it was gone.  Yes, it's that good.


Layered Goat Cheese

3 oz. soft goat cheese
1 tsp. prepared pesto
1 1/2 tsp. apricot preserves

Line a small round ramekin with cling wrap. Make sure the cling wrap is long enough that it extends out the sides for storage.  

Take a small spoon and scoop some goat cheese, pressing down inside the ramekin. Press down and smooth to make an even layer. Use about little less than half of the goat cheese for the top layer.  Spread the pesto over the goat cheese, followed by the preserves.  For the final layer, break up the remaining goat cheese and press in small clumps first around the sides of the ramekin. Then fill in the middle with cheese.  This will help keep the preserves and pesto from squeezing out the sides.  Smooth over the top layer with the spoon, filling in all gaps.  Fold over the sides of the cling wrap and place ramekin in fridge.

When ready to serve, turn ramekin over on a plate.  Remove ramekin and pull off cling wrap.  Serve with crackers.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Dana said...

I've got a date with a friend tomorrow night to drink wine and hear about boy troubles. I think I may bring this. Cheese will help, right?

Fork1 said...

Oh this should be perfect. Wine and Cheese always helps my troubles :)

 
back to top